For a lot of people, getting quality body jewelry can be difficult. Most quality jewelry manufactures only sell to piercings studios, and if you aren't near a piercing studio, you're out of luck. We want the best in body jewelry to be accessible to anyone who wants it, so we have an online store!
With buying body jewelry online though, there are some things that need to be considered.
- Is it really good quality?
- Is it the appropriate type of jewelry for the piercing?
- Is it the right size?
Read below for details or see the images below for an overview!
Is it really good quality?
Determining if the jewelry you're looking at online is the quality that you're looking for can be tricky, but we'll let you know what you should look for.
The first thing you should look at is what the jewelry is made of. The best jewelry will be one of the following materials.
- Implant grade titanium (ASTM F136, ASTM F67, or ISO 5832-3)
- Implant grade steel (ASTM F138 or ISO 5832-1)
- Solid 14k (or higher) gold that is nickel and cadmium free
- Glass (fused quartz, lead-free borosilicate, or lead-free soda-lime)
You don't have to understand what a lot of this information means (it's complicated)! You also won't be able to tell if the jewelry you're looking at is one of these safe materials by looking at the pictures, but this information should be listed in a description of the jewelry.
The next thing you want to look at to see if the jewelry you want to buy is good quality is the threading style (if it's not a single piece). Internally threaded or threadless jewelry is what you want. This just means that the part of the jewelry that will be going directly into the piercing is the female side of the threading. If you're not sure what style of threading a piece is, checking the description should also answer this.
Is it the appropriate type of jewelry for the piercing?
Now, this is harder to answer (if you can believe it!). The easiest way to determine this is if you already have a piece of jewelry you know works for the piercing so you can just get the same type. If you're still not sure what style of jewelry will be best for your piercing, stay tuned for another post which will go over this in detail.
Is it the right size?
Any given piece of jewelry can be measured a few ways.
- Thickness of the jewelry is important so it's not too thick or thin. Thickness is represented as gauge, in inches, or in millimeters.
- Length is also important in a lot of cases to it's not too long or short. Length is represented in inches (or fractions of an inch) or millimeters.
- Wearable is also sometimes used to describe the length of the jewelry only where it goes through the piercing, or the size the piercing needs to be to accomodate the jewelry. This is also represented as gauge, inches, or millimeters.
Now that you know the basics
you can confidently search for body jewelry online! Check out our new online store below!